Top tips for Mindfulness
Mindfulness – What is it and how do you do it?
We talk a lot about Mindfulness here at The Scent Shop, we strongly believe that used properly and regularly that it could increase mental wellbeing through increasing your awareness to the present moment.
Well what is Mindfulness and why bother?
The dictionary defines it as ‘a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations.’ Essentially, it means taking a pause to appreciate the right here, right now, whether that’s positive or negative! We all have our bad days and it’s the owning of that feeling that mindfulness helps you achieve. Mindfulness is a specific form of meditation that doesn’t ask you to clear your mind but rather embrace everything that you are thinking and feeling at that moment in time.
Mindfulness has many benefits including reducing stress and anxiety, improving the quality of sleep, reduces over thinking and improves mental wellbeing.
How do you do it?
Now it’s worth mentioning at this point, that mindfulness doesn’t work for everyone and it’s something that you need to practice every day. It takes a little while to achieve a mindful state and you need the dedication to really making it work, some days you will find harder it harder than others!
Here are our top tips for mindfulness to get you started on your well-being journey!
- Dedicate some time every day, if 5 minutes is all you can commit to, it can make a big change but we’d recommend committing to something a bit longer when you’re starting out.
- You need to make a real effort to focus on that moment, what you’re thinking and how you’re feeling. If you’ve had a bad day and are feeling really down, that’s fine; Mindfulness is about accepting the present and focussing on that feeling. When practicing Mindfulness you need to do nothing and just, be. There here and now is all that matters.
- Don’t worry if your mind wanders off when your practicing, it happens to all of us. You need to bring your attention back to the present; we find focussing on our breathing really helps. Think of your thoughts like passing cars, you accept that they are there and let them pass you without paying them too much attention.
- Try and relax when you are practicing, it will make things a lot easier.
- Find a quiet place where you can sit or lie down and really focus on the present moment.
- Take deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth to help calm your mind and bring the focus you need.
Struggling? Don’t panic!
If you are struggling to practice without some guidance, there are plenty of fantastic tools that you can use to help you along. Apps such as Headspace and Calm are a great starting point to help you begin your journey. There are also guides from Mental Health charities that provide a step-by-step guide to practicing Mindfulness that can be a great tool of you prefer to read rather than listen!
The most important thing to remember about Mindfulness is to practice, practice, practice! It’s not something you can achieve overnight, so don’t panic if you don’t notice any changes right away!
Oh, and don’t forget your candle to help create the right vibe when you’re practicing 😉 !